Friday, October 23, 2015

My Journey with Yoga

So yoga has been a God-send in my life over the past 2 or 3 years.  I have found that moving my body in a positive way has been really good for me and helped me with my body acceptance… and to be better able to enjoy the ride of life in this machine God gave me to do life in.   I take classes two days a week at the local YMCA.  My teacher has told me for over a year now that I really should consider getting certified to teach because I really had a talent.  So in May, when my hours were cut back at EOG I used that extra time I had to study to become certified and low and behold I took a test and am now a CERTIFIED ADVANCED YOGA INSTRUCTOR!!!

I have emailed gyms to check about jobs and finally heard back from a local gym in Tyler called 360 Fitness.  I did a phone interview about a month ago and then had a face to face interview yesterday.  I can't even begin to tell you how God orchestrated this so perfect...


You see when I did the phone interview I was completely honest and shared how yoga has enhanced my recovery from anorexia.  Then when we visited yesterday in person the gym owner explained to me how it was really important to her to have classes that were non-competitive and really just a safe-setting for people to come and move their body in a positive way.  This couldn't be more in line with my what I try to practice in my belief system now that I am in recovery when it comes to our bodies.  I believe that every man, woman and child is created in the likeness and image of God to be on this earth for an undetermined time to "live and move and have their being," (Acts 17:28).  We aren't created to compete with one another nor are we here to abuse our bodies with rigorous exercise and dieting.  We are not here to let the enemy steal, kill and destroy us... we are here to enjoy the ride of an abundant life God so desires for us to have. (John 10:10).
So Melinda, the gym owner, who I talked to said that we would start out slow with one class in December or January and build from there.  Ideally a early morning or late evening class.  Starting in mid-November I will have about 4 meetings with her to get orientated to the gym and give me the chance to practice some before I take on a bunch of classes.  The yoga teacher I take from has graciously offered to let me teach half of her classes in the coming weeks so that I can get some more experience under my belt.

I am excited and can't thank God enough for this opportunity!!!  Please pray for me as I embark on this new journey and I will keep you posted of days and times I am teaching so maybe you can come try some yoga for yourself!

Nameste.



0 comments:

Post a Comment